Monday, June 2, 2014

The Perfect Meal Rough Draft


            Coming up with and preparing the perfect meal is an incredibly daunting task.  With the endless possibilities of food choices and innumerable ways I could go about preparing the meal, it seemed almost impossible to complete.  I had to truly reflect on what it is I love about cooking and eating before I could begin to prepare the meal.
            After serious reflection and contemplation, I realized my most memorable meals generally had to do more with the company and the events surrounding the occasion than the food.  I wanted to create the perfect recipe with all the right ingredients of company, timing and the cooking process to make my perfect meal.  I quickly realized the only person I could truly have this experience with was my dad.
            I live in a household with one and a half vegetarian sisters (one of them caves when cheeseburgers are thrown into the mix) and it absolutely kills my dad.  He loves meat, to the point where we would have steak about two times every week, despite my vegetarian sisters.  The only way he can justify this is that I am just as much of a meat lover as he is.  I wish I could be a vegetarian, but the idea of giving up filet mignon is terrifying.  So it was something my dad and I had always bonded over.  Now that I am away at school, neither of us gets the opportunity to indulge in this obsession very much anymore.
            The company was set: just my dad and me.  Filet mignon was the obvious choice for the entrée.  But I didn’t want this to be just another weeknight steak dinner that happens so frequently in my house.  My dad always cooked our meals on his own and would anxiously await our inevitable praise.  This time, we were going to cook it together.  I also wanted to add my own spin on our standard favorite by making the side asparagus with a poached egg, an appetizer I had just recently discovered.  On the menu would also be a Caesar salad, baked potatoes and strawberry lemonade.
            After the menu and guest list came the preparation for the meal.  Organic versus industrial is a structure I only recently began to pay much attention to.  In an ideal world everything on our plates would have been organic and local, but finding all of this in a time crunch in the suburban area in which I live was a nearly impossible feat, so I decided I would do what I could.  At our neighborhood Kroger my dad and I picked up organic strawberry lemonade, Michigan asparagus, filets from the deli, romaine lettuce and Idaho potatoes.  Not ideal, but not awful.  It was a compromise I felt comfortable with.
             As much as I deeply love grills for what they produce, I hadn’t the faintest clue how to use one.  My dad takes great pride in his cooking concoctions and the cutting edge tools he uses to prepare them and so there was never any need for me to learn: he would do it himself.  My dad’s latest cooking contraption was something I was even less familiar with: the Big Green Egg.  It is a grill/oven/smoker ceramic cooker that creates a rich, smoky flavor in the meat.  My dad is obsessed with it, and was more than happy to show me how it worked.
            After heating up the Big Green Egg, the first step was to bake the potatoes.  We popped them on the Egg and let them cook for much longer than I would have expected.  As those were cooking, we prepared the meat.  My dad said we would be doing a reverse sear, which is a method in which you heat the steaks up at a lower temperature and then heat up the Egg and sear both sides.  The filets were too thick to do a standard sear.  After getting the meat ready, we made my favorite steak sauce: zip sauce.  Our recipe was composed of clarified butter, oregano, kosher salt, cracked pepper garlic and Maggie's Seasoning.  We then prepared the asparagus to be grilled, coating them with olive oil, cracked pepper and sea salt and sealing them in tin foil.  We placed them on the egg and pulled them out fifteen minutes later without opening the foil case, letting them continue to cook.  I quickly tossed the salad, seasoned and poached the eggs in the microwave and our meal was prepared.
            We had started making the meal at around 8:00 and we didn’t start eating it until 10:00.  But it hadn’t seemed that long.  As luck had it, it was a beautiful evening.  Our outdoor radio reported the Tigers game as we sat on our back deck, waiting while the food cooked, talking about our lives.  “See, now when I make dinner you will know how much time it takes,” my dad said, and he was right.  He always cooked such extravagant meals for us thanklessly.  I had no idea how much time and effort he put into our steak dinners.  I was clueless that being able to eat steak so frequently was rare and something we should be very thankful for.  It made me appreciate my dad more, and preparing the meal created space for us to talk and catch up.  It was the perfect meal before we even sat down to eat it.
            The table was set and it was time to dig in.  This was the best steak I had ever eaten.  The meat was tender, the zip sauce brought out the flavors already present in the steak.  The mild Caesar salad, baked potatoes and asparagus provided an excellent contrast to the rich meat.  And the strawberry lemonade was the perfect thing to wash it all down.  My family likes to rate meals by deeming them “wow-worthy” or not, and after our first bite my dad and I both awarded ourselves a big WOW.  By the time we were eating, our spirits were so high the conversation flowed and my heart was as full as my stomach.
            I think of meals as opportunities to bond.  It is a time when people we care about join together to fulfill this basic human requirement: eating.  Being in college makes opportunities to do so with my family few and far between.  So maybe the steak wasn’t as good as I thought it was.  Thinking back, the lettuce in the Caesar salad was slightly wilted.  But it had been several months since I had seen my dad, and steak was something that always brought us together.  The meal wasn’t perfect, it was wow-worthy.


The Big Green Egg


Tada!

7 comments:

  1. Aww, this is really sweet Emma. I'm totally charmed by your description of you and your dad's relationship and bonding over being the meat-lovers in your family. Great job describing what made your meal a 'perfect' experience - I feel like I understand what's important to you after reading the piece. And I love the detail about your family's meal-rating system :)
    I want a bit more about what it was like to cook with your dad. Was he a good teacher? Did either of you get frustrated with each other? What came up in the conversation while you were eating? I think more details would be helpful.
    Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma, such a touching story. Since I am about to go back to France and see my family whom I did not see for months, I completely understand what's at stake for this dinner with your father. What I really like in your essay is the reflection about the origins of food. What I would have added to your essay is a more detailed description of the degustation (sensory details, appreciation of the food). Maybe also you could announce earlier in the piece, like a thesis, that it was more about you cooking and eating with your father rather than about the food in itself. Otherwise, this essay is very complete and you speak of each step in the cooking process, from the menu to the meal. Good job !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, Emma this is so cute!
    I thought it flowed well and the ending made sense - good job! I also how you point out the importance of process and the sheer amount of time it took to prepare this meal. This is a direct allusion to Michael Pollan's stance on getting to know what work goes into your food! I enjoyed reading it !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emma,
    I love how, through this story, I learned a lot about your relationship with your dad. I think it's cool when food writing can go beyond the food and show something important about the speaker. Because this story is so grounded in the relationship between you and your dad, maybe talk a little about your interactions while cooking the meal. It might be nice to also have a little more description of him, perhaps in the act of actually cooking the food. But I love your descriptions of the food and how important this meal was to you because of the background about your family you gave earlier in the piece. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Emma,
    I like how much detail you put into the piece, specially about the egg cooker. We may not know what it's called, but we do know what it does. I would say to be careful with some sentences, like "The table was set and it was time to dig in. This was the best steak I had ever eaten." Because those are telling sentences. What did it look like? Smell like? Anyways, you could intertwine that with your relationship to your Dad and previous meals you've had with him to expound on a bigger picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emma, this is so impressive and moving. I really like how you reflected your relationship with dad throughout this piece. Not only the food description and humor in it, I loved how you depicted your reunion /great time with dad. I even liked the details you added about Tigers game. It looks good as it is, but maybe you can add some story about steak you had here at K? I'm not sure it'll be necessary. But you did such a great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you put the relationship with your dad and you and bonding as a meat-eater! I can see your personality throughout the story which means that you did a great job on story telling. Also, I felt like I should appreciate when my parents cook for me. The food looks so YUMMY! but I hope to see more of descriptions using five senses to make the cooking and eating scenes more vividly! It is great that you put guest list/ingredients/preparation ... etc all stuff that would be nice to be in perfect meal assignment. You nailed the point! GOOD JOB.

    ReplyDelete